Pages

Monday 1 August 2011

July Music Purchases

Live – V Every now and again I go back through artists back catalogues and see if I can get older stuff cheap. I have always liked Live an American band who I suspect couldn’t get arrested so to speak in the UK.

Dishwalla – And You Think You Know What Life’s About See comments re Live then this is the same!

Styx – Babe The Collection Apart from the title track of this album I know nothing about this band, I forgot my CDs for the car so bought this in Asda for £3. The title track is the most sugar laced track you will ever hear I’ll report back on the rest.

Turin Brakes – Dark On Fire Deluxe Edition Been listening to a lot of Turin Brakes of late, checked to see which albums I was missing this appears to be the one. Can’t wait to see them in the autumn playing The Optimist Lp in full.

Gavin Degraw – Free and Self Titled Famous for singing the title track from One Tree Hill (don’t hold it against him) good solid piano led, middle of the road rock that I am prone to like and don’t make any excuses about it.


Pearl Jam – Binaural and No Code Catching up on back catalogue from a band who are about as far into rock as I go but a great band at that.

Okkervil River – I Am Very Far I know nothing about this band, other than been around a while and this album got rave reviews n all the mags I read. A slice of Americana, on first listen the reviews weren’t wrong.

Danny and The Champions Of The World-Heart And Arrows Loved Grand Drive and Danny’s solo work and his latest band go from strength to strength on this their 3rd studio album. Great music that should be heard live to be fully appreciated.



Mogwai – Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will Another stunning album on music from the Scottish 5 piece. One of the loudest bands I have ever seen. 



Neil Young and Pearl Jam – Mirrorball Big fan of both artists so no reason to thing I won’t like this!

Bruce Springsteen & The E street Band – Live At The Main Point 1975 Really no sure of the origin of this release doesn’t seem to have The Boss’ endorsement but a bit of a completist when it comes to Springsteen so I have it.

Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest It’s been a long wait for the new Gillian Welch album and I can’t wait to have a listen as I am yet to hear a duff track from this artist.



The Decemberists – The King Is Dead Rave reviews and guest appearances from the aforementioned Gillian Welch and Pete Buck tell me that I’m going to like this a lot.



Jerry Burns – Angel tucked away in my CD collection is an album from 1992 by this artist, who I thought had disappeared from the music industry after the album didn’t get the success it deserved and was working a shop somewhere, how wrong I was! Whilst looking up the lyrics to a track buy Craig Armstrong I noticed a writing credit to J Burns. A little bit of research later I found this i-tunes only mini album, which includes her version of the Craig Armstrong collaboration, This Love, (the original vocal was by Elizabeth Fraser) along with 4 other tracks. Lovely stuff. 



Well that’s it for this month, 14 new CD’s, I have been a bit calmer and I’m slowly getting through June’s purchases. Hoping to be up to date with the listening by the end of August!

No comments:

Post a Comment