Pages

Friday 1 July 2011

June Music Purchases

June Music Purchases



I signed off last month saying I wasn’t going buy any music in June as I had bought loads in May, well June came and I walked into HMV just as they were doing stock clearance. Now I know HMV always have a sale on and nearly always the stock is always the same safe stock they want to get rid of, but a couple of times a year they get rid CDs they will no longer hold and this is thrown on a unit at the back of the shop. If you are prepared to dig through the shelves you can find some gems and the next few selections were all mostly for £3 each from those very shelves..

Michael Franti & Spearhead – All Rebel Rockers great album to go with all the great weather we are having, oh hang on, works well with monsoon like rain and hail stones the size of ‘twoer’ marbles as well!

Brendan Benson – My Old Familiar Friend Beautiful melodies from one of Jack White’s mates who is talented enough to be known for his own output.

Booker T. – Potato Hole The genius that is Booker T. without the MGs but backed by the wonderful Drive-By-Truckers. I have another Booker T. album released within the last 10 years and it was a fairly poor album but this got great reviews so he’s hoping....


Pure Reason Revolution – Amor Vincit Omnia 3rd? Album from a band making modern sounding progressive rock (honest).  


Johnny Flynn – Been Listening The wonders of technology meant I looked up artists that looked interesting on my phone to see if they were worth buying. Apparently Flynn is pals with Mumford and Sons and Laura Marling so I gave this one a whirl first listen definitely has that feel and sounds pretty good.

Pegi Young – Self Tilted Critically acclaimed debut album from the Wife of Neil who plays on the album but doesn’t write any of the songs. Spooner Oldham also plays on this album which is always a bonus!

James Jackson Toth – Waiting In Vain Another singer songwriter loved this on first listen a lot of the songs have beautiful female vocals complimenting Toth, someone called Jexie Lynn Toth (guessing His Wife) Nice stuff.


The Big Pink – A Brief History of Love Don’t know much about this although stickers on from have recommendations from NME and Mojo and liken them to The XX here’s hoping.

Crystal Fighters – Star Of Love A real punt this one, electro pop so they say, loved the cover so I bought it. (Come on we have all bought an album as we liked the cover admit it!)

Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson – Self Titled Another acoustic singer songwriter (seems to be a pattern immerging!) Haven’t listened to it yet, I’ll let you know.
 

Alela Diane – To Be Still Nice acoustic stuff from someone I know nothing about.

The Drums – Self Tilted I try to catch up on bands making a mainstream stir that I missed when they came out, this is one of them, others I missed and liked after the event, Foals, Two Door Cinema Club and Editors.

White Lies – Ritual I saw this band at Evolution Festival a couple of years ago and was surprised how much I like them, their second album has them growing up and sounding better for it.

The Airborne Toxic Event – Self Titled  A #masterpiece recommendation so had to buy it, first listen not my cup of tea but will give it a couple of more listens before I dispense to the charity shop.

KT Tunstall – Tiger Suit we all know the artist, wouldn’t have bought this unless it was £3 but I know I’ll enjoy it.

Red Light Company – Fine Formation Nice album sounds a bit like Editors good tunes played well.

The Walkmen – Lisbon Heard a lot about these guys, so again have taken a punt....recommended by @Lottiedean and Guy Garvey so must be good.

M.Craft – Silver & Fire who known’s about this one, liked the cover, appears he supported Magic Numbers so...eyes down CD player on!

Heather Greene – Five dollar Dress Might be a little bit too country but first track is a great cover of The Cars classic Just What I needed so here’s hoping.

Mogwai – Special Moves Live In Brooklyn NY 2009 I had a couple of Mogwai albums which I thought were good. Then I went to see them live and was blown away the sound was epic live so looking forward to that sound being replicated on this CD/DVD package.

Corinne Bailey Rae – The Sea Another cheap purchase that I guess I wouldn’t have bought unless it was cheap, saying that it was on most music magazines albums of 2010 and I enjoyed her debut album.

Ok that’s the HMV purchases over, I worry about HMV as the only real mainstream provider of music on the high street but not sure they will continue to be here in years to come.......

Steven Lindsay – Kite The lead singer of The Big Dish who had a minor hit with Miss America, Lindsay disappeared from the music but returned on Craig Armstrong’s album As If To Nothing singing the beautiful Let It Be Love. On the back of this he released a couple of critically acclaimed albums, this being the second. Amazing stuff from an artist that deserves to be better know, but we all know plenty artists like that.

Sweet Billy Pilgrim – Twice Born Men I remember seeing these guys on the Mercury Awards programme award a couple of years ago and thought they sounded great, as like many of the nominated artists they have disappeared without trance, Speech Debelle anyone....I have now got round to buying the album and notice that David Sylvian is credited with Art Direction, very intriguing.

Bon Iver – Bon Iver Couldn’t wait for this release and it hasn’t been a disappointment, gets better with every listen and I suspect that it will be one of my albums of the year. Roll on October when I’ll be seeing them live.

The Complete Short Stories – Perfectly Still  Bought on the recommendation of @spurssimon One listen in and I like what I hear. Cheers Simon.

Drive-By Truckers _ Southern Rock Opera Great band and this is seen as one of their greatest albums, I have been meaning to buy it for a while and eventually got round to it. Can’t wait to listen to it. An epic double CD concept album by all accounts.....

No comments:

Post a Comment