Pages

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Random Review #79 Genesis - ...And Then There Were Three

C2S8CD12 picked by @jazadal a Bostonian in Bensham wonder if Sting would write a song about him.

This was one of the first albums I owned, that and 10cc Live and Let Live. I was 12 and I had to share them with my Sister, by share I mean fight about whose room these albums would stay in, we both had mono box record players and both loved the albums.

At the time you have no concept of where music comes from and whether it is ‘cool’ or not, I just liked music for want it was and had been switched onto Genesis by the radio friendly Follow You Follow Me. Listening to this album I still know every word of every song, I guess I even know the gaps of time between each song, as I have played this album some many times.

Looking at this album now I realise that this was the first album on the road to the commercial pop sound that Genesis would be known for throughout the 80’s that would bring their music to an entirely new market whilst turning off a lot of original fans. Steve Hackett had left the band and Genesis were left with only three members, (Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, and Tony Banks) hence the title. This album has a foot in both camps, pop tunes some with the progressive rock themes that they were know for, the longest song is 7 minutes long which to Genesis of old could have been just the introduction!

I love this album, but it’s hard to be objective, it being my first album, but it’s full of little stories wrapped up in music, Ballad of Big is about a cowboy who takes on one bet too many, Scenes From A Night’s Dream tells the tale of a child’s dream. Snowbound is in my mind a great Christmas Song, (but I have odd ideas about what are good Christmas songs). Follow You Follow Me closes the album and it’s a great song a great single and a great way to leave you wanting more.


Genesis were the Coldplay of their time, loved and hated in equal measures, but for me this was the start of a musical journey that has taken me to where I am now, so it will always have a place in my heart and because of it I will always have a whole in my wallet!!

Mark 9/10



1 comment:

  1. Bittersweet feelings toward Genesis, but must admit I love 'Follow You' and a few others.

    ReplyDelete