Pages

Monday 31 October 2011

October - Music Purchases

Alabama Shakes – Alabama Shakes EP Discovered via Danny and the Champions of The World this band are very new and very very good. I predict big things for this band, and everybody I have played it to has been amazed.



Grand Drive – Grand Drive bought this thinking it was the one original Grand Drive that I didn’t have, failed it’s a ‘Best of’ compilation very good but I have all the tracks....oh well back to Amazon.

Wilco – The Whole Love Next instalment from Jeff Tweedy and co never a disappointment.

Steven Wilson – Grace For Drowning latest outlet for the talent that is Steven Wilson, whether it’s solo, or with one of his many bands, No-Man, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield or Bass Communion always a pleasure. 



Foster The People – Torches Bought his because of all the hype and the fact that it was £2. Good but feels like this MGMT or Empire in The Sun. Nice but nothing new here.



Peter Gabriel – New Blood Although I have always liked Peter Gabriel but never felt the need to buy an album until last year. I bought Scratch My Back on the back of some great reviews and was blown away. This album is equally as good, orchestral reworks of classic Gabriel songs. Special mention most go to Ana Brun who replaces Kate Bush on Don’t Give Up and is a revaluation.



The Hold Steady – A Positive Rage I love the Hold Steady they fit into that pub rock style band for the masses. This is a live album and DVD package made all the better by the price (£3 I love Fopp Records)

David Sylvian – Brilliant Trees Inspired by obtaining tickets to see Sylvian next year in Manchester, started picking up back catalogue albums.

Mazzy Star – Among My Swan Had a copy of this Fopp Records forded me to buy it....

Deep Purple - Made In Europe and Come Taste The Band Childhood vinyl purchases replaced after many years on CD. Wonder after listening I will remember them so fondly. 

Manic Street Preachers - National Treasures The Complete Singles I already have a greatest hits but all the singles from a band that really are a great singles band was to tempting for me.



Instant People - Tour CD. Supporting Glen Campbell this 5 piece contain 3 of Campbell's siblings. Great 6 track CD. I predict we will hear more from this band.


 





2 comments:

  1. Must get the Wilco one when I get home. Foster the People I think I will as well, what I have heard I liked.

    Just looked at track listing for Manics - no mention of the New Art Riot release (pre Motown Junk)??
    But as I have everything of theirs, a singles collection not needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon I'll send you Foster The People so don't buy it. I only have a couple of original Manics albums but suspect I'll end up buying back catalogue.

    ReplyDelete